FAQs about Studying in Germany
Germany is one of the most preferred locations for higher studies today. There are several top Universities in Germany. However, not much information is readily available on some frequently asked questions, FAQs about studying in Germany. Is free education in Germany actually free? To answer these questions, we have put together a list of questions that often get asked by prospective students who wish to study in Germany.
Would you recommend to study in Germany? Or is Germany good for students?
- Why should you choose to study in Germany?
- Why you may not like to live in Germany?
- Why living in Germany is awesome?
Is knowledge of the German language required to study in Germany?
- There are many courses conducted in English in Germany esp. for Master’s Degree. How to find and apply for English courses in Germany?.
- Although you will need to eventually learn some German for daily life use: shopping, govt. paper work, etc. You will need a good command ofthe German language to improve social life out side ofthe university (esp. interacting will the locals).
Are there English courses in Germany?
- Yes. As per the DAAD website, there are 1336 courses in English. How to find and apply for English courses in Germany?.
Is my foreign certificate/degree recognized in Germany?
Do all international students need to attend a Studienkolleg?
- No. It is not necessary for every student to participate in a Studienkolleg. You can check how your previous school certificate/degree is evaluated in Germany at the anabin database. “anabin” database can be used to find out how your foreign certificate or degree will be evaluated in Germany. Read here about how your school certificate or previous qualifications are evaluated in Germany.
Is TOEFL / IELTS required to study in Germany?
- IELTS or TOEFL is needed by most universities in Germany if the course is taught partially or completely in English.
What score is needed in TOEFL / IELTS to study in Germany?
- The minimum score for IELTS/TOEFL is university/course dependent. Usually, the course websites mention if IELTS/TOEFL is required and what is the minimum needed score. Check the exact requirement on the course page. Most universities need a minimum score of 6~7 in IELTS or 80~90 in TOEFL.
Is GRE needed to study in Germany?
- GRE is usually an optional requirement in German universities. But some courses may have GRE as a compulsory requirement (Check course webpage). A GRE score above 300 is recommended in such cases.
Produkte von Amazon.de
Preis: EUR 88,45statt: EUR 119,95
Preis: EUR 44,99statt: EUR 59,90
Pastaza Damen Herren Trekking Wanderschuhe Outdoor Wasserdicht Schneestiefel Warm Gefütterte Winterschuhe,Braun,41EUPreis: EUR 39,99statt: EUR 46,99
Preis: Derzeit nicht verfügbar
Is GMAT need to study MBA in Germany?
- GMAT may be required at many universities for MBA courses, for example, Mannheim business school needs a minimum of 600+ & ESMT needs around 640 in GMAT. Some universities offer reduced fees in case of a good GMAT score.
What are the selection criteria for Master’s degree course (Engineering / Applied sciences) in Germany?
- Selection criteria for Master’s degree involve above average grades in bachelor (But it depends on the quality and number of applicants each year and the university).
Is work experience need to study in Germany?
- Most courses don’t need work experience. But, there are few courses (esp. MBA courses) that have a mandatory requirement of 1-3 years of work experience. Check course pages directly to find out the exact requirement.
What are the selection criteria for an MBA course in Germany?
- Selection criteria involve above average grades in bachelor (But it depends on the quality and number of applicants each year and the university), some work experience after Graduation (top schools demand as much as 3 years work ex), TOEFL (at least 95-100 is recommended) or equivalent for English course; If your course is in German you will need to achieve the required German level certificate stated in your course requirement. Most universities accept around 30% of the applications, while some top universities like Mannheim are pickier and accept only 20% of the applications. GMAT may be required at many universities (for example Mannheim business school needs a minimum of 600+ & ESMT needs around 640 in GMAT). Some universities offer reduced fees in case of good GMAT score.
What are the selection criteria for studying Medicine in Germany?
- Non-EU students need to check that their qualification is eligible for medical studies in Germany. If it’s not, you may need to attend the Studienkolleg (one-year preparatory course) and pass the Feststellungsprüfung exam. As far as we have heard, students with Fsc have to attend Studienkolleg (M-course) for one year. Plus extensive high school knowledge of biology, chemistry, and physics is required. Some universities may need aspirant students to clear Test for Foreign Students (TestAS). In addition, Test für Medizinische Studiengänge (TMS) is not usually compulsory but may give you an edge over other students.
- Medicine courses are mostly in the German language. A B1 German-level will be needed in case if you have to attend a Studienkolleg. In case of direct admission to MBBS course, at least a C1-level is recommended.
Are there MBA courses in English in Germany?
Search/apply for Courses
How do I search/apply for Bachelor’s degree courses in Germany?
How do I search/apply for Master’s degree courses in Germany?
How do I search/apply for PhD in Germany?
What is the difference between a university and a Fachhochschule?
What are the top universities in Germany?
- Germany has many Top universities in the World. There are 44 universities in the QS World University Rankings 2018 , which is more than any other country after the United States and the United Kingdom. There are 43 universities in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2018  top 500, with 10 in the top 100:
- Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (34), the Technical University of Munich (41), Heidelberg University (45), Humboldt University of Berlin (62), RWTH Aachen University(79), University of Freiburg (82), Free University of Berlin (88), Technical University of Berlin (92), University of Tübingen (94) and University of Bonn (100).
What are the top universities in Germany to study MBA?
- Germany has some very good universities for MBA. Top ones (below rank #100) are University of Mannheim, ESMT Berlin, HHL, WHU, EBS, Frankfurt School of Finance and management, University of Cologne, ESCP Berlin campus, etc. The other famous B-schools (rank between 100-250) in Germany include Technical University of Munich (TUM), IESE Business School Munich, Freie University Berlin, RWTH Aachen University, Humboldt University Berlin, and Goethe University Frankfurt. From these, only the Public universities have no/low tuition fees.
How hard is studying in Germany?
Cost of living / Finances
What is the cost of living in Germany? Or How much money do I need to study in Germany?
- The main monthly cost you will incur are: Rent+Utilities (200-450 Euros depending on the city for a small single or shared apartment); Health insurance (usually around 90 Euros for students); TV license, internet, mobile connection, etc. (~40 Euros), Food (~150 euro; 100 Euros or less if you spend wisely), Public transport (if not included in semester contribution), Leisure activities, clothing, etc. In my opinion, 600-800 euros should be enough per month depending on the city (For example, a city like Munich will be on the higher end, while a city like Chemnitz will be on the lower side). These costs can easily be covered by working part-time.
Where can I open a blocked account?
- Fintiba, X-patrio, Deutsche Bank, Kotak Mahindra (India)
- Note: Deutsche Bank is the only option for US citizens due to US tax laws and regulations
How do I open a blocked account?
- You can open block account with Fintiba, X-patrio, Deutsche Bank, etc. Apply online for your blocked account in case of Fintiba / X-patrio or Download and fill the pdf application form in case of Deutsche Bank (Seek proper legalization at the German embassy if you’ve chosen Deutsche Bank). Than deposit funds and Get your blocking confirmation.
What is the amount for blocked account?
- 720*12 = Eur 8640 (As of Sept. 2018)
Is Fintiba / X-patrio trustworthy?
- Yes. FYI: you will need to additionally open a current account in a local German bank after reaching there.
Difference between Fintiba (or X-patrio) or Deutsche bank blocked account?
- Opening an account with Fintiba is faster and easier as compared to Deutsche Bank (the passport doesn’t need to be certified by the embassy in case of Fintiba). But, Fintiba and X-patrio have a monthly fee and you will need to open a current account in a local German bank after reaching there. With Deutsche Bank, you will just have to visit the local branch of Deutsche Bank in Germany and they will unfreeze your account and give you an ATM card.
Which banks in Germany are recommended for students?
- Deutsche bank (online portal in English, no fee for students below 30 years), Postbank (no fees for students), Commerzbank (English, no fee), N26 (English, no fee on basic account), DKB (no fee, free cash withdrawals worldwide), Targobank (online portal in English, no fee for students)
What are the scholarship opportunities in Germany?
- There are various scholarships in Germany offered by Universities, DAAD, Erasmus Mundus programs, Deutschlandstipendium, etc. There is a big list of scholarships. Some are dependent on your course and/or university, others are independent of it. Usually, you will find a list on the university website where you plan to do your masters.
What are the part-time jobs opportunities in Germany for International Students?
- International students from non-EEA countries are allowed to work 120 full days or 240 half days per year (approx. 20 hours a week). Some options for part-time jobs are research assistant at a university or research institute or a company based on your bachelor degree(ca. 11~14 euro/hour), office assistant (ca. 10~12 euro/hour), support staff – waiter, bartender, retail store shopping assistant, home delivery of food, etc. ~ 8.84 euro/hour or more), Private tutor (English language, math, etc.).
What are the tuition fees in German universities? Or Is studying in Germany free? (free education in Germany?) Or Are there no tuition fees in German universities?
- Public universities have no or very low tuition fees (FYI: In the state of Baden-württemberg, public universities charge Euro 1500 / Semester). But, public universities do charge a semester contribution of 150~300 Euro per semester. Private universities are expensive (~ Euro 10,000-20,000 per year), but still, cost lower than many universities in the UK or the USA. Cost of living is of course in addition to the university fees. Read here about why there are no tuition fees in Germany
Is a second master’s degree also Tuition free in public universities (Zweitstudium)?
If you already have a master’s degree and apply for a second master’s in Germany, it will be counted as “Zweitstudium”. This could mean that you may have to pay tuition fees in public universities as well.
Where can I learn German after coming to Germany?
- There are Germany courses offered in most larger public universities (free or cheap for students, many allow externals at a fee). you can learn German at institutes like Goethe Institute (there are many other institutes like Hartnackschule, DeutSCHule, etc. in bigger cities). You can also learn German at a Volkshochschule if there is one in your city/town. Search for “deutschalsfremdsprache <city name>” or “deutschintegrationskurs <city name>” in google.
What are the main documents needed for German study visa?
- The documents required are embassy/consulate dependant. But some of the most common documents needed for German student visa are filled and signed application form, passport (with at least 1 year of validity), photos, cover letter explaining your need for student visa, a German university admission letter, proof of payment of university fees, German and/or English language efficiency proof depending on your course requirement, proof of past academic qualification (for example bachelor degree certificate), proof of finance (scholarship letter, blocked account, etc.), Travel health insurance for at least 3 months.
How do I find an apartment in Germany?
- Read here about finding apartments in Germany
- Read here about what to know before signing a rental contract in Germany
What should I do after arriving in Germany for the first time?
- Read here about things to do after coming to Germany for the first time
- Read here about what to know before signing a rental contract in Germany
- Read here about 7 mistakes to avoid when you arrive in Germany
What should I bring to Germany when traveling for the first time?
Can a PhD student get a blue card in Germany?
How to integrate in Germany fasters?
Do you have any further questions? Please let us know in the comments what you wish to know. Please subscribe to our blog to be informed about the updates.
More from Study in Germany
FAQs about Studying in Germany | Airports | Preparation and Arrival | Masters | Bachelors | PhD | Student in Germany | Life in Germany | Part-time Jobs | Working in Germany | Driving in Germany | Housing in Germany | Integration | Comparisons between Countries | Traveling in Europe
Leave a Comment